The PGA Storage System Engineer Level2/Level3 assists in providing 7-day, 24-hours storage and backup infrastructure administration and technical support in SAN, NAS, DAS and backup technologies used for customers. This professional engineer assists in running & maintaining a stable and fully functioning storage & backup infrastructure in companies data centre, customer’s data centre or at customer sites. This position requires performing incident, request, change, and problem & release management functions based on the defined process outlined by company.
The role has an overall responsibility to ensure that companies contracted obligations towards the customers are met. In addition to that, this professional inherits all accountability and responsibility of the System Engineer Level 1/2. Where tasks overlap, the role has additional responsibilities in all areas to provide necessary assistance or to assume full responsibility.
- Inherits all the accountabilities and responsibilities of Systems Engineer Level 1/2.
- Having the responsibility and accountability to be on-call or shift operations whenever required, ensuring level 1 engineer have the necessary support as and when required.
- Act as the next escalation point from technical perspective in the area of backup/storage.
- Perform 2nd level troubleshooting (defined in competencies matrix) on incidents generated from customers or generated by standard system or tool.
- Ensure adherence to service level agreements regarding storage allocations, limitations, and availability.
- Engage in situation meetings, teleconference and technical discussion with management, supporting teams or vendor.
- Perform Problem Management as per defined by companies process to ensure that re-occurring issues are identified and removed permanently.
- Perform in depth technical analysis to identify possible root causes on any related issue to minimize operations complexity.
- Propose proactive / improvement initiatives towards improvement of efficiency in operations and implement resolutions as appropriate.
- Prepare root cause analysis report to identify the root cause of a problem in order to create effective corrective actions that will prevent that problem from re-occurring.
- Participate in situation meetings to provide feedback/updates/technical consultation to the situation/landscape managers, including the customer.
- The performance of any related tasks within the framework of IT Operations.
- The administration and troubleshooting of complex computing infrastructure (hardware/software) that may fall outside of problem management such as task forces with the aim to develop or identify sustainable solutions.
- The assistance in the development of robust and optimized computing infrastructure solutions where such solutions will carry significant improvements towards daily operation tasks.
- Provide technical assistance in terms of consultation, coordination and implementations of tasks for projects which approved by all stakeholders and defined well in scope by company.
- Involved in the Disaster Recovery activities as outline in the DRS process document which is validated and approved by process owners.
- Participate in Business Continuity Planning (BCP) process/activities which defined as a standard process within company.
- Acts as gatekeeper for all RCA (Root Cause Analysis) to be completed within the agreed SLA with consultation from all other supporting teams or stakeholders for all problem tickets. Thus all RCA(s) should be documented centrally.
- Performs regular audits on security layer of the access management from the perspective of storage/backup/restore defined as a standard process by company or its customers.
- Participate in the patch management from a storage/backup perspective whereby the coordination is narrated and defined by Systems Engineer Level 3.
Storage & Backup Specifics:
- Perform installations and setup of Backup Exec 10d, 11 or Netbackup 7 on master servers, media servers, cluster servers and other unique types of categorization.
- Perform 2nd level or advance level backup monitoring of all supported customer sites at customer’s data centre or in companies data centre.
- Troubleshoot on escalated incidents of backup failures up to resolution or escalation to the next level.
- Manage backup/storage policies within the backup management console.
- Manage storage resource in terms of tape libraries and tape drives within the backup management console.
- Create and managing daily catalog for media management or tape handling in respective sites to make sure that daily/weekly/monthly backup job to tape would be successfully completed.
- Perform regular verifications or checks on the firmware versions of all supported tape libraries, tape drives and other storage components which has firmware.
- Identify re-occurring backup failures with the same issue identified and initiate problem management process.
- Ensure that daily checklist for backup administration management completes and documented.
- Perform escalations to backup vendors or other support teams once there’s a limit within scope or functionality of the current support model.
- Create and manage storage policies for new backup requirements based on companies defined backup schema or backup schema as approved by customer.
- Create new media storage pool as with standard naming convention defined in the backup schema which needs to be done in the backup management console.
- Implement & Manage data encryption and to make sure that backup/storage environment is compliant with the standards aligned with companies standards.
- Perform advanced diagnostics from the hardware perspective of the supported tape libraries, single attached tape drives and other tape library supported by company.
- Plan and implement regular maintenance activities if required of the tape libraries and tape drives of the support environment as per defined in the maintenance process document of the hardware for the backup/storage infrastructure.
- Perform advance technical analysis of any backup & restore logging in the system and report back findings to supporting teams and management team.
- Proactively performs storage monitoring via management console or system generated incidents (event ticket based).
- Analyze capacity reports on all storage devices/components on all supported storage environments in customer’s data centre, companies data centre or customer’s remote sites.
- Troubleshoot escalated incidents of storage disks/controller/components failures within the 2nd level or advanced troubleshooting guide.
- Adding and removing disks, disk group management, LUN management and presentation of LUNS to hosts.
- Identify re-occurring storage related failures with the same issue identified and initiate problem management process.
- Engaged in activities to upgrade storage components/architecture and firmware versions.
- Provide support telephonically and/or electronically including participation in “on-call” Storage steady-state support rotation.
- Generate reports and analysis on storage usage.
- Assist in analysing the failures produced in the monthly KPI report for the area of backup/storage/restore as when required.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, BEHAVIOR)
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or Engineering.
- 6 to 8 years of experience working in the related fields or in the Information Technology area.
- 3 to 5 years experience with the NetApps, HP, EMC and Hitachi DAS/NAS/SAN storage.
- 2 to 3 years performing storage capacity planning, performance analysis and disaster recovery plans.
Backup Certification – at least one from the following.
- Symantec Backup Exec 11.x for Windows Administration I & II (must have)
- Any other certification in VERITAS Backup Exec, Data Protector or CommVault.
- Administrations of Symantec NetBackup 7.0 for Windows. (must have)
Storage Certification – at least one from the following.
- NetApps Data Ontap 7.3 Fundamentals (DOTF) (must have)
- CIFS/NFS Administration on Data ONTAP 7.3 (must have).
- SNIA Storage Certified Professional (S10-101) (must have).
- EMC Proven Professional Associate Certification (E20-001).
- Hitachi Data Systems Storage Foundations – Enterprise Certification (HH0-110).
- FAS3100/6000 Series Hardware Maintenance.
Technical (Added Advantage)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, firewalls, storage networking and basic networking concepts. LAN and WAN administration.
- Basic knowledge of windows operating system (Windows NT, 2000 or 2008).
- Basic knowledge of LINUX (Red Hat or SUSE)/UNIX (AIX, Solaris, HPUX).
- Intermediate knowledge or understanding of backup jobs, backup types, storage policies in backup technologies, media/tape management, backup solutions, backup to tape or backup to SAN/NAS implementations.
- Intermediate understanding of tape libraries, tape drives, tape drive drivers.
- In depth understanding of disk technologies, RAID 0 to RAID 5 definitions or configuration.
- In depth understanding of the need and importance of security & compliance in the backup/storage environments. Knowing how the encryption and compression in implemented in the system.
- In depth understanding in the concepts of server virtualization, storage virtualization, VMware and clustering.
Non Technical (required)
- Thinks and acts in a Customer orientated manner, both internally and externally.
- Delivers results in conformance with Company standards.
- Fulfils tasks on-time and conscientiously recognises possible gaps and risks within operational services, and identifies these to relevant stakeholders.
- Sets achievable objectives for oneself, and assumes responsibility for agreed objectives and ensures successful closure, recognises opportunities to exceed his/her objectives both quantities and qualitative manner.
- Contributes to the ongoing improvement of operational processes.
- Grasps complex issues, analyses in a goal-orientated manner, and seeks alternative solutions, ensures issue resolution.
- Knows and uses problem solving techniques or methodologies in order to achieve desired and sustainable results.
- Possesses analytical abilities to properly understand complex customer requirements.
- Vigilant towards operational risks, and their mitigation, including communication to relevant stakeholders.
- Develops and integrates ideas for the improvement of the quality of procedures and results within the area of expertise.
- Understands and accepts the need for development, and deals well with change, both internally and externally.
- Communicates clearly in regards to change, so that all parties impacted have a clear understanding.
- Demands and promotes collaboration between colleagues.
- Provides information proactively as required, in order to ensure good internal knowledge sharing, in a team and goal orientated manner, sets an example to more junior staff.
- Able to deal with and mitigate conflict, both internally and externally as required.
- Actively strives to promote collaboration within the organisation by well developed networks.
- Demonstrates personal initiative, places ambitious demands on his/her work, and the work of others.
- Takes and active role in professional development, both technically and personally.
- Adapts him/herself to different forms of cultural interaction.
- Judges emotion, empathises as necessary, escalates possible conflict situations to relevant stakeholders.
- Has a good knowledge of written and verbal English and other relevant foreign languages as required in completing work based activities.
Non Technical (desired)
- Able to lead a small team of individuals on a temporary basis, if required to by relevant stakeholders.
- Deals with difficult situations, and manages them effectively.
- Able to accept constructive criticism, and deals constructively with negative experiences.
- Embraces the idea of learning from error.
- Demonstrates and communicates corporate values/principles.
- Understanding of the customer business. Personal behaviours and values that nurture openness, honesty, trust, mutual respect and support from all team members, in line with Service Excellence ideals.
This is a remarkable opportunity with superior challenges & career growth.
If this interests you, Please send your CV to email@example.com to initiate the process.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.